Happy New Year! Clearly I am about one month and 1 day late but better late than never; right? As we have entered the second month of 2015 I am reminded that in a little less than 100 days I will enter a new phase of life; I will be turning the big THREE-O. I have dreaded turning thirty since I turned twenty-five, I even tried shaving a few years off my age by telling a little white lie for three years. [I got away with it until my son started telling all my secrets] So here I am, just a few months shy of the dreaded new decade and I am surprisingly excited. My twenties were not all that bad, but they weren’t all that great either; however I am looking forward to my thirties being my best years yet. Over the weekend I found myself thinking of all the things that a woman should know [and or posses] before [ or by the time] she turns thirty. So I decided to compile a list and leave them here with you. So here we go.
30. How to change a tire~ This one is self-explanatory; especially considering the whole damsel in distress act has long since played out. I realize there is a such thing as AAA and Roadside Assistance; but in the off chance your cell phone is dead and you blow a flat this is something a woman no longer in her twenties should know.
29. How to politely, diplomatically and tastefully check someone ~I think it goes without saying that by time you reach your thirties a woman should be a little less snappy and a lot more poised. Less neck rolling and more word venom.
28. How to small talk in a social setting and do a classy two-step at office parties and conservative events ~ Being shy and reserved should be reserved for your younger years, the ability to create conversation should come with age. The older you get the wiser. And please, save your bar crawl for a time when your boss is not in attendance.
27. A Passport~ I will be the first to admit that I have yet to leave the country; despite being well traveled nationally I have never taken a cruise or seen the ocean from the other side of the world. However, I know that should an opportunity for international travel arise, I need to be prepared. [Never know when Prince Charming is going to want to whisk you away to that private island]
26. A financial plan~ It doesn’t matter if you have 100 or 100,000 dollars having a financial plan ( or budget) should be a given. Wearing expensive clothes but eating ramen noodles isn’t okay after a certain age.
25. A good pair of black heels, a white button down shirt and a little black dress~ Do I really have to explain this one? These are part of the women over 25 survival kit.