As written by Musings of a High-Level Executive Assistant…
I came across this blog while I was doing research for my “Tattooed Admin” series and fell in love. I cringe when someone refers to me as a secretary and get upset when the admins I supervise refer to themselves as secretaries. Being a secretary is too easy, being an administrative assistant takes a bit more.. Enjoy
TOP TEN DIFFERENCES BETWEEN SECRETARIES AND ADMINISTRATIVE PROFESSIONALS
- Secretaries make coffee, administrative professionals procure international resources to motivate and empower staff.
- Secretaries take memos, administrative professionals expedite inter-office communication.
- Secretaries type letters, administrative professionals facilitate company communication with national and international clients.
- Secretaries file, administrative professionals manage and organize data for efficient retrieval of corporate records.
- Secretaries un-jam the copy machines, administrative professionals maintain high-tech equipment vital to day-to-day business.
- Secretaries answer the phone, administrative professionals manage communication between staff and customers.
- Secretaries listen to office gossip and complaints, administrative professionals act as corporate arbitrators and manage conflict between administrators and staff.
- Secretaries order office supplies, administrative professionals manage inventory of critical corporate resources.
- Secretaries buy gifts when boss realizes he or she has forgotten spouse’s birthday or anniversary, administrative professionals facilitate crisis management at the executive level.
- Secretaries get little respect in the corporate environment, administrative professionals get just a bit more.
you can read more from this blog at http://musingsofahighlevelexecutiveassistant.blogspot.com/